92 Queen Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previously operated by: Associated British Cinemas Ltd.
Previous Names: Cardiff Cinematograph Theatre
One of the first purpose built cinemas in Cardiff, subsequently extended and adapted, It opened as the Cardiff Cinematograph Theatre on 19th July 1911.
Remembered as the first to be converted for "talkies" attracting huge audiences for Al Jolson’s "Singing Fool".
Taken over by Savoy Cinemas circuit in September 1925, it was re-named Queen’s Cinema. Savoy Cinemas became part of the Associated British Cinemas(ABC) chain and they operated it for the remainder of its cinematic life. Their trademark ‘ABC’ triangle covered over the original name on the white tiled frontage. The Queen’s Cinema was very much second-best to the ABC owned Olympia Cinema, a short distance away, after that building had been substantially rebuilt and extended.
In the 1930’s the Queen’s Cinema and the Pavilion Cinema (then also operated by ABC) often showed the same programme.
By the 1950’s the Queen’s Cinema was showing re-runs and submitted a planning application for a very simple adaptation for a 30feet wide CinemaScope screen, attaching a photograph of the existing layout. There is no evidence that the work was carried out as the Queen’s Cinema closed on 29th October 1955. Demolition followed some time later (around 1958) for shops to be built.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.