Tupelo Community Theatre
200 N. Broadway,
1 person favorited this theater
Functions: Live Theater
Styles: Art Deco
Previous Names: Comus Theatre, Strand Theatre, Lyric Theatre
Built in 1912 as the Comus Theatre, it was exclusively the home of vaudeville. By 1914 it was screening movies. Later, as part of the Saenger circuit, it was a movie and vaudeville house by 1924 renamed Strand Theatre. It was renamed the Lyric Theatre when it became part of the Malco chain of movie houses in the 1930’s.
Renovations to the theatre at that time included a new marquee and an Art Deco style redesign for the interior. The Lyric Theatre continued on with stage shows in addition to its film screenings.
The Lyric Theatre remained a popular movie house until 1984 when it was abandoned and nearly demolished. The Tupelo Community Theatre came along, purchased the old Lyric Theatre, and it has remained open ever since. Live stage productions are now the focal point of the theatre.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.