25-29 St. Mildred's Road,
2 people favorited this theater
Pricturedome Carlton Cinema (Official)
Operated by: Picturedrome Electric Theatre Company
Previously operated by: Reeltime Cinemas UK
Functions: Movies (First Run)
Styles: Gothic Revival
Previous Names: Town Hall Cinema
This Edwardian-era Swiss-Gothic style building was originally built and opened in March 1910 as a Town Hall, but was never used as such. It had a flat maplewood floor and was first used for roller skating, then became the Town Hall Cinema from 1912.
In 1932 it was re-named Carlton Cinema and seating was on one level. In around 1957 when CinemaScope was installed major alterations were made, the most significant of which was the reversal of the auditorium. The current screen end by the entrance to the auditorium was originally the rear of the auditorium.
Operated by Reeltime Cinemas, it was re-furbished to modern standards. In 1998 a second screen with a seating capacity of 55 was added in what had previously been a shop unit. Since then a third screen has been added. In January 2010 it was taken over by Picturedrome Electric Theatre Company.
The building is Listed Grade II.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.