Recher Theatre

512 York Road,
Towson, MD 21204

Unfavorite 1 person favorited this theater

Additional Info

Architects: John Ahlers

Firms: George Norbury MacKenzie III

Functions: Nightclub

Previous Names: Towson Theatre, Loews Towson Twin

Phone Numbers: Box Office: 410.337.7178

Nearby Theaters

Recher Theatre

The Towson Theatre opened on March 1, 1928. The architect was John Ahlers of the George Norbury MacKenzie III architectural firm. Cost of building the theatre was $100,000. It was equipped with a Kilgen 2 manual 4 rank theatre organ.

The Towson Theatre was twinned in April 1984. On October 13, 1988 it was taken over by Loews and was closed on July 3, 1992. It was sold to the Recher family who turned it into an upscale billiard parlor. It was de-twinned and reopened on March 11, 1999 as the Recher Theatre and functioned as a concert venue. By 2019 it had become a nightclub named Torrent Nightclub.

Contributed by Chuck

Recent comments (view all 8 comments)

DavidZornig on March 19, 2016 at 11:26 pm

Circa 1979 photo added courtesy of Ralph Dacious McCain‎.

DavidZornig on February 20, 2019 at 3:38 pm

1954 photo added via John Knott‎.

DavidZornig on February 20, 2019 at 3:57 pm

Now known as Torrent Nightclub. Website below and Facebook page below.

MarkA on April 18, 2020 at 11:04 am

The Towson Theatre had a two-manual/four-rank Kilgen theatre organ installed for its opening. It appears to be the same as the Kilgen organ installed in the Bel Air Theatre, in Belair MD. I recall seeing a floored-over orchestra pit in front of the stage during a late 1979 visit to see “The Amityville Horrors.” There were very few Kilgen organs installed in Maryland. This is not surprising, since the largest builders of pipe organs, M.P. Moller, Inc., was located in Hagerstown, Maryland.

50sSNIPES on February 27, 2023 at 8:55 pm

The Towson Theatre’s last film as a single-screener was Tom Berenger’s “The Big Chill” on March 1, 1984 before closing the theater for a month and five days due to twinning. The theater reopened as the “Towson Twin” on April 6, 1984 with “Fanny & Alexander” at Screen 1 and “Tender Mercies” at Screen 2 by JF Theatres.

Loews took over from JF on October 13, 1988, and was renamed “Loews Towson Twin”. Loews operated the Towson Twin until closing for the final time on July 3, 1992, due to the rise of General Cinema’s Towson Commands 8 across the street. The theater was then converted into a Rec Room, but closed in 1998 when Brian Recher and his family sold the building.

After the former theater received a remodel and a revert back to its normal single-screener, the former Towson Theatre reopened as the Recher Theatre on March 11, 1999.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.