Cameo Theatre

1015 E. Colonial Drive,
Orlando, FL 32803

Unfavorite 2 people favorited this theater

Additional Info

Previously operated by: Paramount Pictures Inc.

Functions: Photography Studio

Styles: Streamline Moderne

Nearby Theaters

News About This Theater

Cameo Opening

The Cameo Theatre opened on November 27, 1940 with Bob Hope & Bing Crosby in “Road to Singapore” & Fred Astaire & Ginger Rogers in “Top Hat”. It was operated by E.J. Sparks, a subsidiary of Paramount Pictures. It was a latecomer in Orlando’s theatres, and was located just a block west of the Vogue Theatre. Open for less than a year, it was closed on September 21, 1941. The Cameo Theatre sat abandoned for years, save for an occasional booking by a evangelical group. The building was remodeled and occupied for years by IBM. Since then it has had many occupants, and has often been vacant. The marquee still stands.

In October 2008, it was in use as a live performance theatre, but had closed by Summer of 2009. By early-2010, it had reopened and was available ‘For Rent’, and several groups have regular performances, primarily live music. By early-2014 it was in use as a photography studio.

Contributed by Irv Lipscomb

Recent comments (view all 23 comments)

gizmofx on September 25, 2009 at 12:48 pm

The Cameo is open but not with The Greater Orlando Actors Theatre. They were using the space not running it. There are many users of the space including live music, comedy, theater, dance, art openings or just plain birthday parties. They are currently working with the space and trying to grow it again. True direction unknown. Currently including: MegaloMusic ( a live music production company) which has shows many weekend nights a month, Hump Day Humor a comedy act on Wed. nights. Many events happen here every month including upcoming “Vibe” event (this weekend) and ELLA Music Fest Oct. 1-4
There is a Downtown revitalization by the city in this area spear headed by Mills 50.
The Cameo Theater current active website

AndyCallahanMajorMajor on December 2, 2011 at 2:40 pm

Here is my picture from November 2011. The building is currently on the market.

Pearliemae on May 23, 2013 at 2:11 pm

Does anyone have a picture of the Cameo back in the day??

Samuel Augustus Jennings
Samuel Augustus Jennings on July 1, 2013 at 2:23 pm

The Cameo was racially segregated as were all of the other movie theaters in Orlando until a year or two before the Civil Rights Act of 1964 was passed.

irvl on July 9, 2013 at 8:44 pm

Please see the photo section for newly surfaced photos of the Cameo and a special advertising section welcoming the new theatre. The Cameo opened on November 27, 1940, with the film ROAD TO SINGAPORE. Today, the new owner of the Cameo building wants to restore the façade to a close re-creation of what used to be.

irvl on January 27, 2014 at 8:46 am

The Cameo’s building has undergone an extensive renovation and is now occupied by “SNAP,” a photo gallery.

irvl on December 11, 2014 at 10:24 am

The Cameo’s light bulb lit sign has been replicated and is mounted on top of the building. This project was a joint effort by Jorge Boone, the building’s owner, and the Orlando City Council. See photos section on this page.

irvl on April 6, 2017 at 8:51 am

1941 ad for Florida State Theatres Orlando/Winter Park theatres posted to photo section.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.