Historic Owen Theatre

205 S. Commercial Street,
Branson, MO 65616

Unfavorite 3 people favorited this theater

Related Websites

Historic Owen Theatre (Official)

Additional Info

Previously operated by: Dickinson Theatres

Architects: Robert O. Boller

Firms: Boller Brothers

Functions: Live Performances, Movies, Performing Arts, Special Events

Previous Names: Owen Hillbilly Theatre

Phone Numbers: Box Office: 417.336.4255
Manager: 417.336.4255

Nearby Theaters

Historic Owen Theatre & Branson's House of Comedy, Branson, MO

The Owen Hillbilly Theatre opened on June 5, 1936 and was named after its owner and former Mayor of Branson, Jim Owen. It was designed by the Boller Brothers and could originally seat 350 but after the stage was expanded to accommodate variety shows and larger seats were installed, the current seating capacity is now 210. It closed as a movie theatre in the late-1970’s.

Renamed the Historic Owen Theatre, the oldest remaining theatre in Branson today serves as a year-round performing arts facility under the management of the Branson Regional Arts Council providing a full slate of community theatre musicals & plays, films, concerts as well as a conservatory arts education program in dance, acting, vocal studies and visual arts. The theatre also features the “Rock Room Art Gallery”. The theatre is located in heart of Branson’s Historic Downtown District.

Contributed by Bryan

Recent comments (view all 2 comments)

crankduran on November 7, 2014 at 4:19 pm

Went here to see movies many, many times in the mid-70s, while in college at School of the Ozarks.

50sSNIPES on December 29, 2023 at 3:44 pm

This is one out of two Owen Theatres in the city of Branson, the name Owen was named after Branson’s then-mayor and famous “king of the Ozarks” Jim M. Owens (1904-1972).

The older and first Owen Theatre started life as the Gayety Theatre, but was renamed the Owen Theatre in the early-1930s.

In mid-August 1935, Mr. N.E. Morrison of St. James, Missouri wrote a letter to mayor Owen, asking for his support and advice in connection with a proposal to construct a newer movie house in a special way, saying that he have been “informed that there is a real need for a good showhouse in Branson”. After receiving his letter, not just he wrote a letter back to Morrison but he also wrote a letter to Glen Dickinson of the Dickinson Theatres chain. After a successful agreement, construction of the newer Owen Theatre began in March 1936.

The newer and second Owen Theatre opened its doors on June 5, 1936 as a replacement of the older Owen Theatre which closed the previous day. Its grand opening attraction is not found yet at this time. Since opening, Dickinson Theatres was the main operator of the theater, and remained like that for nearly 40 years of its operation.

The Owen was Branson’s first-run movie house for the longest time, but when the Table Rock Twin Cinema opened nearby in September 1975, it began a little competition. The Owen Theatre closed as a first-run movie house in the late-1970s.

A short time later, the Owen reopened as a popular venue for live performances, concerts, performing arts, and special events (plus additional movies for rare occasions).

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.