4 Star Theatre
5112 Wilshire Boulevard,
14 people favorited this theater
Firms: Walker & Eisen
Styles: Art Deco
Previous Names: UA 4 Star Theatre, Mitchell Brothers Four Star Theatre, Oasis Theatre
Built by United Artists and playing first run United Artists films, the UA 4 Star Theatre opened on November 29, 1933 with Leslie Howard in “Berkeley Square”. It was was a sister theatre to the United Artists Theatre in Pasadena. In the late-1930’s it was operated by Fox West Coast Theatres until the 1940’s, when United Artists took control again. It remained a first run theatre for United Artists movies until the 1970’s, when by then it had been equipped with 70mm projection equipment. The theatre ran some of the best films in Hollywood, showing repertory films on a large 70mm screen.
When the Mitchell Brothers of San Francisco took over on September 11, 1973, it became an adult cinema, opening with Marilyn Chambers in “Behind the Green Door”. It operated as an adult movie theatre for 10 years, later reverting to 3rd run release and Indian movies.
It eventually closed and became a church. In 1999, the church cemented over the Art Deco style bas relief figures on the facade which depicted ‘Artistry’ and ‘Unity’, which were also a feature on the United Artists Theatres in Pasadena and Belvedere Gardens (East Los Angeles). The church moved out in 2012 and the building briefly became the Oasis Theatre, available to hire for live performances.
It was demolished in December 2014.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.