6201 W. 3rd Street,
3 people favorited this theater
Firms: Balch & Bryan
Styles: Streamline Moderne
The Gilmore Drive-In was located near the Farmers Market in the Fairfax area in Los Angeles. It had its entrance on W. 3rd Street at S. Fairfax Avenue. The Gilmore Drive-In opened by Sero Enterprises on July 18, 1948 with Errol Flynn in “Silver River”. It had a capacity for 650 cars. Later taken over by Pacific Theatres, it was still open in November 1977, but had closed by January 1978. It sat for the next 5 years, before being razed.
Near the Gilmore Drive-In was a few other walk-in theatres. The Fairfax Theatre at S. Fairfax Avenue and Beverly Boulevard, the Pan Pacific Theatre on Beverly Boulevard, the Esquire Theatre on S. Fairfax Avenue (now Canters Deli), and the Silent Movie 3 blocks up S. Fairfax Avenue near Melrose Avenue. Also in the area was the Pan Pacific Auditorium and one of Los Angeles early sports areas called Gilmore Field.
As the sun sets on the former Gilmore Drive-In, the people in the Park La Brea area are now treated with a brand new Pacific multi-plex called the Grove, now renamed AMC The Grove 14 which has its own page on Cinema Treasures.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.