25 W. Broad Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Functions: Beauty Salon
The Campbell Theater held its grand opening on December 21, 1914 and was located at 25 West Broad Street in Hazleton. The theater building had a rather elegant tile facade done in green and ivory colors and an engraved slab with the name “Campbell Theater” above the main entrance. The owner, Hugh Campbell, maintained the new theater policy of wholesome, instructive and entertaining programs. The opening film presentation was Mary Pickford in “The Eagles Mate”. The theater had a small stage and for a time offered vaudeville acts along with film presentations.
In November 1917 the theater held a film that was shot entirely in the area showing schools, churches and even a greeting from the city mayor. Since the film was such a novelty for the era, there were sellout crowds during the days this film was shown. Admission was 10 cents for children and 20 cents for adults.
The theater closed and was converted to retail space in 1928 just three years after the much larger Capitol Theater opened one block away. The green and ivory tiles facade was visible until the late 1980s when the building owners covered the front with reflective glass panels. The building still stood into the mid-2000’s, but had been demolished by 2013.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.