534 Ashmun Street,
Sault Ste. Marie,
1 person favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Delft Theaters Inc.
Functions: Live Theatre
Styles: Spanish Colonial
Built in 1929 to vaudeville house plans with full stage, fly-space, dressing rooms beneath stage, twin organ lofts (organ never installed), and orchestra pit, the Soo Thetare is the only remaining vintage house in the eastern end of Upper Michigan and the only venue in the area that offers the fly-space needed for full scenic productions. It opened in March 1930.
As late as the early-1970’s it was used as a live performance house in addition to cinema. In 1974 a huge concrete wall divided the auditorium into a duplex cinema for film only. The Soo Theatre closed its doors in 1998, the victim of a newly-opened faceless multiplex on the outskirts of town. The final film showing was “The Wizard Of Oz” with five patrons in attendance.
After several proposals for the adaptive reuse of the building, in 2003 it was acquired by Soo Theatre Project, Inc., a local non-profit group dedicated to its renovation and restoration as a community performing arts facility.
A recent Michigan Cool Cities grant has permitted remodelling of the theatre’s retail space as a regional performing arts school, opened in September 2005.
Renovation of the auditorium, stage and lobbies eventually got major funding. In the meantime, the dividing wall has been demolished by local volunteer labour, and plans were underway to place the Soo into limited operation as a summer theatre venue. It reopened in April 2021.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.