Pocono Cinema and Cultural Center
88 South Courtland Street,
3 people favorited this theater
Pocono Cinema and Cultural Center (Official)
Previous Names: Academy of Music, Grand Theatre, Grand Cinema, Pocono Cinema
News About This Theater
- Aug 19, 2008 — Eastburg indy-movie theater coming back
Originally opened as the Academy of Music on July 8, 1884. It began screening movies as the turn of the century. It was renamed Grand Theatre by 1908, with a seating capacity of 800. It was destroyed by a fire in 1929. It was rebuilt and the seating capacity was listed as 660. The Grand Theatre was closed in 1986.
It was restored and reopened in 1996 as the Pocono Cinema. It reopened as a single screen art house with a coffee house and art gallery in the lobby. Their success enabled them to add two smaller theatres in the back. The cinema shows art house fare as well as mainstream movies that do not play at the nearby Stroud Mall.
It closed briefly in November 2007, re-opening as the Grand Cinema. In early 2008, it was renamed Pocono Cinema again, but this was short lived as it closed at the beginning of May 2008.
New owners have since taken over and it has reopened.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.