Victory Theatre

1420 Point Breeze Avenue,
Philadelphia, PA 19146

Unfavorite 1 person favorited this theater

Additional Info

Previously operated by: A.M. Ellis Theaters Co,

Architects: David Supowitz, E. Allen Wilson

Previous Names: Pastime Theatre

Nearby Theaters

Located in the Newbold district to the south of Center City. The Pastime Theatre was built in 1911. It was designed by architect E. Allen Wilson for the Colonial Amusement Company and had 480-seats. In 1924 it was modernised and equipped with a Marr & Colton organ and enlarged with the seating capacity increased to 800-seats. On January 30, 1942 it was taken over by the A.M. Ellis Theater chain and was closed to be remodeled to the plans of architect David Supowitz. It reopened on May 19, 1942, renamed Victory Theatre. It was closed in 1952 and became a retail store. It was demolished in 1953.

In 1912, the Pastime Theatre was the scene of a gruesome accident which happened when the theatre was struck by lightening.

Contributed by Lost Memory

Recent comments (view all 3 comments)

kencmcintyre on December 20, 2008 at 5:29 pm

The Breeze variety store is at 1420. It must have been a narrow theater.

TheALAN on June 4, 2014 at 2:27 pm

Stop by this variety store. Maybe they’ll have some information about this theater. Except for the location and the organ, no one here has any!

dallasmovietheaters on February 24, 2022 at 5:22 am

The Pastime Theatre opened at 1420-1426 Point in 1911. The theatre was sold to new operators who modernized the venue in 1924 with a new organ and later equipped it for sound.

The A.M. Ellis chain took it over after the Pastime closed for renovations following the January 30, 1942 shows. It was modernized to the plans of David Supowitz relaunching May 19, 1942 as the Victory Theatre. The adjoining Kresge’s store was a busy neighbor allowing patrons of the Victory to have an alternative to its concession stand.

The Victory closed at the expiry of a ten-year lease likely catering to African American audiences in its final three years and was demolished in 1953. It was replaced by a retail location for Spiro’s Style Shops.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.