Address would have been 201 Central Avenue.
Additional history credit Stumptown Historical Society and Whitefish Community Foundation.
“History was made on the night of June, 13, 1916 when the Orpheum Theatre opened on this site. This building was purchased by Lloyd J. Sissel and converted into what the press called “one of the classiest playhouses in the Northwest”. He remodeled the building by putting in a new front, an inclined floor and “up-to-date equipment”.
The first silent film shown was “The Soul Market” and starred the gifted emotional actress, Mme Petrova. The film dealt with live along the Great White Way and behind the scenes of a big Broadway theatre. It was followed by a Sidney Drew comedy and reportedly was received enthusiastically by the Whitefish audience. The 1916 ticket price was 25 cents. The Orpheum was a gathering place for Whitefish residents for many years as was its neighbor the Lake Theatre, opened later by Lloyd Sissel in the building immediately adjacent to the Orpheum."
Address was 129 E. 4th Avenue, confirmed Demolished.
Building to the left of it in the photos is still standing, with distinctive horizontal trim beneath it’s coping stones.
Cinematour also lists a separate Garnett Theatre which has no CT page.
But that conflicts with the Overview above that claims Peoples Theatre was the only movie theatre in the county.
By 1954 it had become a tavern called Sid’s Junction.
It was still that on July 19, 1966 when Richard Speck was captured at the neighboring Starr Hotel for the murder of 8 nurses.
Photos added and Sanborn Map added.
Closed the week of October 6, 1960 (photo added). Additional history credit Creston Museum:
The Grand Theatre which had been showing movies from away back in the silent flicker days closed this week after 40 years of operation. Mrs. F. C. Rodgers announced it is up for sale . The theatre has been showing films only on weekends the past two months. The Grand Theatre was opened on Dec. 11, 1920 by the late C. O. Rodgers and his son, Floyd C. Rodgers, who passed away this year. At that time it was one of the few buildings that far up on main street. The two men had earlier operated Creston’s first theatre, the Peekin, starting Sept. 27, 1919, located near the present Fashion Centre, C.O.
Additional history credit The Creston Museum Facebook page in 2020.
July 6, 1972: Theatre Changes Hands
Mr. Lloyd Johnston is retiring after operating the Tivoli Theatre for 34 years.
He has sold the theatre to Al Olsenberg, who comes here from Grand Cache, near Grande Prairie, Alta., where he operated the Alpine Theatre.
Mr. Johnston built the Tivoli in 1938. Originally from Fernie, he had operated the theatre in Kimberley from 1935.
He and Mrs. Johnston, who assisted in operation of the Tivoli, are retiring to their home at twin Bays.
Mr. and Mrs. Olsenberg will operate the theatre under the name A-M Crest Cinema, “Your cinema in motion.” Daughter Mona will look after the concession. Son Cory, like his father, is a projectionist. The Olsenbergs have two other daughters, Shelley and Lynn ann.
Mr. Olsenberg states renovations to the building include repainting the front. A new sign is arriving. The acoustics will be improved. He plans to run more shows and also a Saturday matinee.
Additionally The Alderson’s owned it late `70s per one comment.
At the time this photo was taken in January 1981, Atlanta police were trying to clear neighborhoods such as this one on Peachtree Street of prostitution. -Vintage Atlanta
Additional history:
October 11, 1963 photo added credit County Herald, description credit Huronia Museum and Huron Ouendat Village.
Huronia Museum - Photo of the Week - This (uploaded) photo was published in the County Herald on October 11, 1963.
The Georgian Hotel is nearly gone. Originally called the Gladstane House, it was built in 1885 by Thomas Gladstane, Midland’s first postmaster. His general merchandise store which housed the post office is the empty lot to the right.
For the last thirty years it had been the home of the Capitol Theatre. The hotel was purchased by Doctor Garnet Tanner in 1927, who remodeled and enlarged it from 30 to 80 rooms. In 1944 Tanner sold to his manager of seven years, William MacArthur. The construction appears to be triple-brick and the 1927 addition can be seen by the jog in the wall on the right. The contents had been auctioned off earlier. Construction of the new Dominion Store followed soon after.
November 17, 1944 photo credit Ontario Treasury Department, Motion Picture Censorship Theatre Inspection Branch.
Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/TheGrandTheatreSSM/
Address would have been 201 Central Avenue. Additional history credit Stumptown Historical Society and Whitefish Community Foundation.
“History was made on the night of June, 13, 1916 when the Orpheum Theatre opened on this site. This building was purchased by Lloyd J. Sissel and converted into what the press called “one of the classiest playhouses in the Northwest”. He remodeled the building by putting in a new front, an inclined floor and “up-to-date equipment”.
The first silent film shown was “The Soul Market” and starred the gifted emotional actress, Mme Petrova. The film dealt with live along the Great White Way and behind the scenes of a big Broadway theatre. It was followed by a Sidney Drew comedy and reportedly was received enthusiastically by the Whitefish audience. The 1916 ticket price was 25 cents. The Orpheum was a gathering place for Whitefish residents for many years as was its neighbor the Lake Theatre, opened later by Lloyd Sissel in the building immediately adjacent to the Orpheum."
https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=160007
Here is the official website and Facebook page.
https://wayfarertheaters.com/home
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100089308195893
Union dispute regarding Byrne’s upcoming show was resolved as of June 9th.
https://variety.com/2023/music/news/david-byrne-broadway-union-agreement-here-lies-love-1235639414/
Address was 129 E. 4th Avenue, confirmed Demolished. Building to the left of it in the photos is still standing, with distinctive horizontal trim beneath it’s coping stones. Cinematour also lists a separate Garnett Theatre which has no CT page. But that conflicts with the Overview above that claims Peoples Theatre was the only movie theatre in the county.
Enlargeable 1935 photo in link below. (Similar version added to gallery in case link goes dead)
https://www.mainememory.net/artifact/6283
By 1954 it had become a tavern called Sid’s Junction. It was still that on July 19, 1966 when Richard Speck was captured at the neighboring Starr Hotel for the murder of 8 nurses. Photos added and Sanborn Map added.
1942 photo in below link.
https://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth1034938/
Closed the week of October 6, 1960 (photo added). Additional history credit Creston Museum:
The Grand Theatre which had been showing movies from away back in the silent flicker days closed this week after 40 years of operation. Mrs. F. C. Rodgers announced it is up for sale . The theatre has been showing films only on weekends the past two months. The Grand Theatre was opened on Dec. 11, 1920 by the late C. O. Rodgers and his son, Floyd C. Rodgers, who passed away this year. At that time it was one of the few buildings that far up on main street. The two men had earlier operated Creston’s first theatre, the Peekin, starting Sept. 27, 1919, located near the present Fashion Centre, C.O.
(I’ve added a CT page for Peekin Theatre)
Link with crisper version.
https://www.facebook.com/CrestonMuseum/photos/pb.100063756212860.-2207520000./10156364661891629/?type=3
Additional history credit The Creston Museum Facebook page in 2020.
July 6, 1972: Theatre Changes Hands
Mr. Lloyd Johnston is retiring after operating the Tivoli Theatre for 34 years.
He has sold the theatre to Al Olsenberg, who comes here from Grand Cache, near Grande Prairie, Alta., where he operated the Alpine Theatre.
Mr. Johnston built the Tivoli in 1938. Originally from Fernie, he had operated the theatre in Kimberley from 1935.
He and Mrs. Johnston, who assisted in operation of the Tivoli, are retiring to their home at twin Bays.
Mr. and Mrs. Olsenberg will operate the theatre under the name A-M Crest Cinema, “Your cinema in motion.” Daughter Mona will look after the concession. Son Cory, like his father, is a projectionist. The Olsenbergs have two other daughters, Shelley and Lynn ann.
Mr. Olsenberg states renovations to the building include repainting the front. A new sign is arriving. The acoustics will be improved. He plans to run more shows and also a Saturday matinee.
Additionally The Alderson’s owned it late `70s per one comment.
This 1958 photo was replaced by a crisper version and should be removed.
http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/17658/photos/89594
1964 photo credit Georgia State University Library.
1942 photo credit Georgia State University Library.
At the time this photo was taken in January 1981, Atlanta police were trying to clear neighborhoods such as this one on Peachtree Street of prostitution. -Vintage Atlanta
Opened 90 years ago today.
New Yorker article about Stax Records.
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2023/06/05/the-secret-sound-of-stax?utm_source=pocket-newtab
Additional history: October 11, 1963 photo added credit County Herald, description credit Huronia Museum and Huron Ouendat Village.
Huronia Museum - Photo of the Week - This (uploaded) photo was published in the County Herald on October 11, 1963. The Georgian Hotel is nearly gone. Originally called the Gladstane House, it was built in 1885 by Thomas Gladstane, Midland’s first postmaster. His general merchandise store which housed the post office is the empty lot to the right. For the last thirty years it had been the home of the Capitol Theatre. The hotel was purchased by Doctor Garnet Tanner in 1927, who remodeled and enlarged it from 30 to 80 rooms. In 1944 Tanner sold to his manager of seven years, William MacArthur. The construction appears to be triple-brick and the 1927 addition can be seen by the jog in the wall on the right. The contents had been auctioned off earlier. Construction of the new Dominion Store followed soon after.
I couldn’t open it. Maybe someone with a subscription can copy tell us or copy and paste it.
5/26/23 Washington Post opinion piece on the Uptown Theater. It has a paywall but maybe locals are already subscribed.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/05/26/uptown-theater-future-arts-destination/?fbclid=IwAR2fgWUT9dOF1l_-JyoyMQ_xip5lMvF15JFDouiJg4BxgMGsN-S611vHbJ8
Believe to be a J.R. Schmidt photo.
Cooper’s Hawk Will Vacate Esquire Theater Space and Close Its Sole Chicago Location, link below:
https://chicago.eater.com/2023/5/25/23737516/coopers-hawk-gold-coast-chicago-wine-closing?utm_campaign=chicago.eater&utm_content=entry&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR0a0GvuUGQ58LRbdoVEfbhesqeWsUP47uy-OqsxoYDmoB-eTmllo1ibChI
Enlargeable version here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/uicdigital/5740291269?fbclid=IwAR11WbAeDkVKlNXtef1sIlw35BjLbMh480pz6sq0tGeTIF-LtCkJl7XD3tA
1937 photo credit Edward Frank Jr. for Chicago Surface Lines.