7941 S. Halsted Street,
11 people favorited this theater
Architects: John Adolph Emil Eberson
The Capitol Theatre was located in Chicago’s Auburn Gresham neighborhood on S. Halsted Street near W. 79th Street. Opened January 19, 1925 with House Peters in “The Tornado” plus ‘A Monster Stage Show’. The Capitol Theatre was designed by the famed theatre architect John Eberson. His other Chicago theatres included the Paradise Theatre and the still-remaining Avalon Theatre (now known as the New Regal Theatre). This very large neighborhood theatre had an auditorium done in the Atmospheric style, resembling an ancient Roman villa complete with statuary, vines, and miniature temples covering the organ grilles.
The Capitol Theatre’s lobby and foyer areas contained plaster copies of antique Greco-Roman reliefs, more statuary and mosaic tiled floors. Like the auditorium, the lobby had a blue starlit sky. At one time, the theatre also contained a 3/17 Wurlitzer theatre organ. The stage was 97ft wide and 30ft deep. It had a 62ft wide proscenium.
The Capitol Theatre was very similar in design to Eberson’s Houston Majestic Theatre, built less than two years earlier, but unlike the Majestic Theatre, the Capitol Theatre contained organ grilles in place of side boxes. Originally built for the Cooney Brothers National Theaters Corp. circuit for both stage acts and movies, the Capitol Theatre later became part of the Warner Brothers/Stanley-Warner chain, and changed to a movies-only format.
The Capitol Theatre was still open in July 1977, but was soon shuttered. The decaying theatre was demolished in 1985. The site remains an empty plot of land in 2022.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.