Admiral Twin Drive-In

7355 E. Easton Street,
Tulsa, OK 74115

Unfavorite 8 people favorited this theater

Related Websites

Select Cinemas (Official)

Additional Info

Operated by: Select Cinemas

Previously operated by: General Cinema Corp.

Functions: Movies (First Run)

Previous Names: Modernaire Drive-In, Admiral Drive-In

Phone Numbers: Box Office: 918.392.9959

Nearby Theaters

News About This Theater

Admiral Twin Drive-In

Opened on May 24, 1951 with Rod Cameron in “Oh! Susannah” as the Modernaire Drive-In with a capacity of 700 cars. On June 19, 1952 it was renamed Admiral Drive-In. It was originally a single screen but a second screen was added in May 1955 increasing the car capacity to 1,350. In 1966 it was taken over by General Cinema.

At the time of the twinning it took on the name of the Admiral Twin Drive-In.

The west screen features pole speakers and radio while the east screen is radio sound only. The drive-in plays double bills on both screens.

The drive-in was destroyed by a fire on September 2, 2010. Funds were raised to rebuild the screens, and the Admiral Twin Drive-In re-opened on June 15, 2012.

Contributed by Chuck Van Bibber

Recent comments (view all 36 comments)

davidcoppock on July 27, 2017 at 12:21 am

Is it known how the fire started?

Kenmore on July 27, 2017 at 5:40 am

The screen was an uninsurable, wooden tinderbox. The cause of the fire was accidental as the fire marshall ruled out arson, lightning, or electricity.

davidcoppock on February 19, 2018 at 5:56 am

Was it only the screen that caught fire?

MichaelKilgore on May 21, 2019 at 1:53 pm

If Blue bought this in 1953, then it was a couple of years before he twinned it. From the May 7, 1955 Motion Picture Herald:

The Admiral drive-in, Tulsa, will become the first drive-in in the state to operate a “double screen” effective early this month, Alex Blue, co-owner and operator announced. Blue said the theatre had duplicated its present accommodations to the rear of the existing outdoor movie screen and that the new facilities will open within the next few weeks. Capacity of the theater will be 1,350 automobiles, making it one of the largest in the southwest.

davidcoppock on June 7, 2019 at 4:19 am

Opened on 24/5/1951 with a Donald Duck cartoon(not named) and “Oh Susanna”. Name changed to Admiral Drive-in on 19/6/1952, opening with 2 cartoons and “The battle at Apache Pass”. The drive-in was used as a location for the movie “The outsiders”.

davidcoppock on June 7, 2019 at 5:17 am

Also opened with news.

MichaelKilgore on August 1, 2019 at 7:22 am

The next ownership change came in 1966, per this May 30 note in BoxOffice: “Recently General Cinema Corp. of Boston, Mass., purchased the Admiral Twin Drive-In in Tulsa from Alex Blue and Hank Robb”.

MichaelKilgore on September 3, 2020 at 9:28 am

There’s an excellent article, with plenty of photos, in today’s Tulsa World marking the 10th anniversary of the Admiral Twin’s screen-destroying fire.

Kenmore on June 6, 2022 at 11:50 am

A 1955 topo map shows the drive-in as a single screen occupying the west half of the property.

The new screen was added and the eastern half of the property was then developed. So, the western area is the original drive-in with the eastern half added in 1955.

Kenmore on June 6, 2022 at 1:20 pm

The old marquee stood on Admiral for years before being torn down sometime in the 1970s, long after I-244 cut off the drive-in from the street.

However, you can still see the base of the marquee and part of the original entrance road located on the west side of Crown Liquor Store on Admiral.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.