Sunshine Brooks Theater
217 North Coast Highway,
4 people favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Pussycat Theatres
Firms: Balch & Stanbery
Functions: Live Theater
Styles: Art Deco
Previous Names: Margo Theater, Towne Theater
This opened as the 659 seat Margo Theater on 20th November 1936, the owners were F.E. Chaldek, C.A. Shaeffer and J.A. Dundas. A month after opening Mr Chaldek sold his interest in the Margo and it came under the sole ownership of Mr Shaeffer, with Mr Dundas continuing as manager.
In the 1980’s the name was changed to the Towne Theater and it began screening ‘adult’ movies, operated by the Pussycat Theatres chain, before eventually closing, after which it became a karate studio.
The building was acquired by the city in 2001 and was renovated at a cost of $1.5m and converted into a live performance theatre.
It was named after Hattie ‘Sunshine’ Brooks, who donated her majority interest in the building to the city.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.