4519 Gravois Avenue,
7 people favorited this theater
Architects: Edward P. Rupert
Firms: R. Levine & Co.
Styles: Spanish Baroque
The Granada Theatre opened on September 29, 1927 with Ronald Colman in “Beau Geste”. It was a neighborhood theatre located in the Bevo area of St. Louis. The theatre was designed in the Spanish Baroque style and featured a beautiful overhanging balcony.
It originally seated 1,585 combined on the main level and balcony. Much of its decor was considered too ornate for just a neighborhood theatre.
Operated by the Arthur Brothers/St. Louis Amusement Co. Chain. It mostly ran 2nd run movies until the demise of the Arthur Theatre Chain.
Located in a densely populated neighborhood, locals were faithful to the theatre until it closed June 19, 1986 with “Gung Ho”. Part of the roof and back wall over the stage gave way over night during a storm and the cost of repairs was too high so the theatre was razed in December 1992 despite efforts to save it.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.