Sanderson Centre for the Performing Arts
88 Dalhousie Street,
2 people favorited this theater
The Sanderson Centre for the Performing Arts (Official)
Architects: Thomas White Lamb
Functions: Stage Shows
Styles: Italian Renaissance
Previous Names: Temple Theatre, Capitol Theatre
Opened as the Temple Theatre on December 22, 1919, as an independently operated vaudeville theatre by Jules and Jay Allen of the Allen’s Theaters Ltd. chain. It had a seating capacity of 1,600.
It was renamed the Capitol Theatre in 1928, and in 1929 Famous Players purchased the theatre and operated it as a single screen movie theatre until 1986.
This large theatre has no balcony. Instead, it has a section of stadium seating at the rear of the auditorium. The theatre is now known as the Sanderson Centre for the Performing Arts. Now dedicated to live performing arts, there is no longer a movie screen or projection equipment in the building.
A blaze in two historic buildings next door to the theatre in September of 2004 caused heavy smoke and water damage in the Sanderson Centre and it was closed down for six weeks for repairs to be carried out. It has now been fully restored.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.