Vernon Plaza Theatre
1717 Cumberland Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Vernon Plaza Theatre (Official)
Previously operated by: Interstate Theatres Inc. & Texas Consolidated Theaters Inc.
Architects: Jack M. Corgan
Functions: Movies (First Run)
Styles: Streamline Moderne
Previous Names: Plaza Theatre
The single screen Plaza Theatre was built by Texas Consolidated Theatres Inc. in 1953, over the ruins of the Vernon Opera House. The theatre faces the courthouse. It had a seating capacity for 1,204, all on a single floor. There was a cry room at the rear of the auditorium which seated 12 patrons. The Plaza Theatre was equipped for CinemaScope films and stereophonic sound.
The façade is interesting, with a short tower on the left in orange brick. The street level has a very unattractive mosaic pattern, but the marquee is very nice, and still has glass panels in the attractions boards. The ticket booth has no glass, and someone has placed a potted plant on the counter. The theatre was later twinned.
The Plaza Theatre was re-opened by the current operators in March 2007.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.