8700 Van Nuys Boulevard,
8 people favorited this theater
Previous Names: Americana Theatre, Leow's American Theatre
News About This Theater
The Americana Theatre was located along Van Nuys Boulevard in Panorama City, and opened as a single screen theatre on September 18, 1964 with Michael Callan in “The New Interns” & Fabian in “Ride the Wild Surf”. It was designed by architect Edward C. Jenkins for Lippert Theatres. For a while it was leased to Loew’s. This stretch of Van Nuys Boulevard developed in the suburban boom in the San Fernando Valley after 1945 along with the surrounding neighborhood supporting many restaurants, department stores and other retail establishments. Later an additional four screens were added, designed by architect Gale Santocono, two with 300 seats each and two with 400 seats each.
In the 1980’s, the area began to decline and by 2000, most of the fine places dating from the post-World War II suburban boom had disappeared as had the Americana 5. It was finally operated by Mann Theatres. It now houses a beauty school and sporting goods store.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.