783 Knickerbocker Avenue,
1 person favorited this theater
Firms: Carlson & Wiseman
Previous Names: Loew's Alhambra Theatre
News About This Theater
- Jul 26, 2007 — Eldert & Knickerbocker
Situated in the Bushwick section of Brooklyn, the Alhambra Theatre was originally a vaudeville theatre operated by the Glynne & Ward circuit. It opened on December 31, 1914, and was designed by Arthur G. Carlson of the architectural firm Carlson & Wiseman and had a seating capacity for 1,500. In 1918, it was enlarged, with a balcony added, and the seating capacity became 2,200.
In 1923, when Loew’s Inc. acquired Glynne & Ward’s Astoria Theatre in Queens, it also took over the Alhambra Theatre and ran it for a few years, but with movies that were at the end of their circuit bookings. It was remodeled in 1927 by noted theatre architect Thomas Lamb.
Loew’s eventually leased it to various “indie” owners, including Randforce Amusement Corp, the Alhambra Theatre ceased operation in 1951. After laying unused for several years, it was announced in December 1959 that it would be converted into a supermarket, initially operated by Safeway. It was used as a day-care centre for many years. In late-2014 plans were put in force to convert the building into apartments.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.