98 Wellington Road South,
1 person favorited this theater
Firms: Drury & Gomersall
Styles: Streamline Moderne
Previous Names: Carlton Cinema, Essoldo, Classic
News About This Theater
- Jan 19, 2007 — Former Cannon Cinema, Stockport
The Carlton Cinema was a creation of J. T. L. Mallard and designed by the architecural firm Drury & Gomersall of Manchester. It was in a typical 1930’s Moderne style and was opened by the Arderne Cinema Co. Ltd. on 28th July 1937. There was a large orchestra pit and full stage facilities but no organ. In the basement was located a cafe.
In July 1948 the cinema was taken over by the Essoldo Cinemas chain. After being converted to a twin cinema in 1971, by converting the balcony into Screen 2, it was taken over by the Classic Cinemas chain in 1972. It’s final owners were the Cannon Group who ran the cinema from 1982 until its closure in 1992.
In 1954 the Essoldo became the town’s first CinemaScope cinema and for many years was the only cinema to offer full stereophonic sound. “The Robe” was the first widescreen film to be shown followed by “How to Marry a Millionaire”. At the height of the “Davy Crockett” craze, in 1956, Fess Parker made a personal appearance at the Essoldo.
The cinema was demolished in 1994 and a small park occupied the site for several years. By 2011, offices had been built on site, which are occupied by Sky Television.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.