Cinema 1 & 2
711 W. Main Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Functions: Medical Center
TOI Theatres (or Theatre Operators) held the special grand opening to the 604-seat capacity Cinema 1 & 2 on May 14, 1970 with an open-house and a special one-day screening of Peter O'Toole in “Goodbye Mr. Chips” on both screens.
The twin was first planned by TOI Theatres on August 6, 1969, while more updates were added by president Lane Saunders on April 2, 1970. The theater was located at a former site of both a Joe’s Foods supermarket (which operated from December 17, 1955 until closing in 1967) and a short-lived D&L Furniture store (October 1969). Saunders received some plans including a gold scheme in Screen #1 and a green scheme in Screen #2 and both having special “sound-fold” wall panels to trap and eliminate any noise from the lobby.
The twin was later operated by Excellence Theatres, and finally Carmike Cinemas until closing for the final time in either late-August or early-September 1992.
As of 2023, SCL Health Medical Group now occupies the former Cinema 1 & 2 (and both former Joe’s Foods and D&L Furniture stores)
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.