2 Tunstead Avenue,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previous Names: San Anselmo Theatre
The San Anselmo Historical Museum notes the R.H. Cheda Building was built for Silvio H. and Virgilio J.B. Cheda and designed by Thomas O’Connor and opened in 1911. The R.H. Cheda, currently imprinted on the front of the building, was Silvio’s son Richard.
The San Anselmo Theatre opened in the building in 1914 and In 1921 the theatre was remodeled and became the first theatre in Marin to show films with a mercury arc lamp. On April 22, 1921, the San Anselmo Herald reported F.J. Alberti was the new owner of the San Anselmo Theatre, “which is now known as the Strand”.
Sanborn Maps 1919 show Moving Pictures in the building but the 1924 maps show no Moving Pictures. On April 25, 1924, the Herald reported improvements were in progress in the old Strand Theatre space.
The Historical Museum reports the Strand Theatre closed when the Tamalpais Theatre opened in February 1924.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.