8 Annerley Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Princess Theatre (Official)
Previously operated by: West's Ltd.
Architects: John Beauchamp Nicholson
Styles: Italian Renaissance
Previous Names: South Brisbane Public Hall, Boggo Road Theatre, West's Princess Theatre
Located in Woolloongabba, a district in the south of Brisbane. The 1,200-seat Princess Theatre was opened in 1888 as the South Brisbane Public Hall designed by Brisbane based architect John Beauchamp Nicholson. In 1892 it was renamed renamed Boggo Road Theatre ((Boggo Road was the original name for Annerley Road). From 1893 it was renamed Princess Theatre, presenting live performances and vaudeville. In 1899 under the new ownership on Thomas Finney it became a clothing factory, but with some occasional theatre performances.
From 1912 to 1942 it operated as a cinema, but with some occasional use by repertory theatre companies. From 1942 to 1945 it served as a rehearsal room for the American Armed Forces, United States Entertainment Company which was followed by community use.
From 1945 to 1985 it was in use by various small business’s as a paper wholesaler, an engineering firm, a rag merchant, a second-hand dealer and a used appliance dealer. The stage was used by a printing works from 1948-1979.
In 1985 it was renovated and leased out to the TN! Theatre Company, who staying in the building until 1991. In 2001 it was leased to the Metro Central Community Church who purchased the building in 2003. Later renamed LifeCity Church, it sold and vacated the building in 2020.
In 2021 it reopened as the Princess Theatre presenting live performances as a live music venue. It has a 900 standing capacity and 500 seats.
The Princess Theatre was listed on the Queensland Historic Register on 21st October 1992.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.