Dixon Opera House
114 S Galena Avenue,
No one has favorited this theater yet
This theatre was located on the second floor of a large 3-story stone commercial block, which was opened in 1876. It originally had a large balcony facing a stage against the east wall, but both the upper floors of the building were destroyed by fire on June 23, 1903. A stage fly tower was constructed at the rear by 1912. This covered only ¾ of the back wall, but it’s unclear whether the opera house vacated the westernmost section, or whether this served as a lobby.
Entry may have been both from the front and from stairs on the west in the alley. By at least 1914-15, movies were being shown, and the theatre was listed in that year’s American Motion Picture Directory. The building was destroyed by fire on February 17, 1920, and the Dixon Theater (which has its own page on Cinema Treasures) was later built on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.