1510 Union Boulevard,
2 people favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Arthur Enterprises Inc.
Architects: Bruce F. Barnes
Firms: Duggan & Huff
Styles: Art Deco
The Union Theatre was opened October 29, 1910. The Arthur Enterprises Inc. chain (Fanchon & Marco) took over the Union Theatre in 1925 and it seated 1,124. The Union Theatre was a large theatre for a neighborhood house. Two story with a large balcony. White marble front and everything inside was in a forest green and burgundy red. Large stage area with a large screen. The Union Theatre had a large chandelier in the auditorium shaped into a large ball with stained class of different colors that would dim when the features were started. It was closed in May 1938 to be remodeled by architect Bruce F. Barnes and reopened in 1939.
The changing neighborhood and blight caused the closing of the Union Theatre in October 1960.
Shortly after the theatre closed and Arthur Enterprises Inc. stripped the theatre, it was converted into a church for the African American population that had moved into the neighborhood.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.