No one has favorited this theater yet
Previously operated by: Star Cinemas
Architects: Albert Winstanley
Previous Names: Queen's Theatre
Located in Castleford, near Wakefield, Yorkshire behind the Picture House. Built as the Hippodrome in 1899 to the plans of architect R. McDowall. In 1909 it was rebuilt as the Queen’s Theatre to the plans of architect Albert Winstanley with 1,200-seats. The proscenium was 24ft wide, the stage 26ft deep and there were eight dressing rooms. From 1914 it was screening films as part of the programme. In 1932 it was converted into the Queen’s Cinema with 980-seats. It was equipped with an Eastern Electric sound system. By 1944 it had been taken over by the Leeds based Star Cinemas circuit who operated it for the remainder of its cinematic life. A Western Electric(WE) sound system had been installed. It was closed in September 1958 with Clayton Moore in “The Lone Ranger and the Lost City of Gold” & Arthur Franz in “The Flame Barrier”. It became a bingo club.
It was later converted into the Queen’s Supermarket, then taken over by Associated Dairies it became the first Asda Supermarket in the country. By 1974 it was a Do It Yourself hardware store. It was demolished in 1990.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.