615-617 4th Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previously operated by: Ideal Amusement Co.
Previous Names: Lyric Playhouse, Lyric Play House
The town’s first Lyric Theatre was a 1,500-seat vaudeville house that had launched previously on 11th Avenue in 1906 with a fire gutting it just four months later on February 24, 1907. That theatre’s foundation became the Orpheum Theatre turned Embassy Theatre then, finally, Penn Theatre which has its own Cinema Treasures listing.
Ten years after the opening of the original Lyric Theatre, a more modest - but new - Lyric Theatre was created at 4th Street at 7th Avenue. William H. Orr launched the new Lyric Theatre on April 24, 1916 with Marguerite Clark in “Seven Sisters”. In addition to the diminutive 400-seat theatre, the multi-purpose building was additionally home to a barber shop and a men’s clothing store.
The Lyric Theatre switched briefly to live plays taking on the name of the Lyric Play House in the late-1920’s when other movie theatres converted to sound. In 1930, the Lyric Theatre also equipped for sound to switch back to motion pictures. The Lyric Theatre was still listed in the 1952 edition of Film Daily Yearbook with a seating capacity for 456. It had closed by 1955. The building has since been demolished.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.