Imperial Theatre Cinerama
No one has favorited this theater yet
Architects: Yokogawa Tamisuke
Styles: French Renaissance
Previous Names: Imperial Garden Theatre, Imperial Theatre, Teikoku Theatre
Located opposite the Royal Palace. The Imperial Garden Theatre was originally a live theatre which opened in March 1911, with seating provided in orchestra, dress circle & balcony levels. It was the first Western-style theatre to open in Japan and presented opera & musicals. It was known locally as the Teikoku Theatre. On 1st September 1923 it was damaged by a fire which spread from a neighbouring building and caused by the Great Kanto Earthquake. Repairs were carried out and it re-opened on 25th October 1924.
It was converted into a 3-strip Cinerama theatre which opened on 5th January, 1955. The 3 projection boxes were located in the dress circle. It ended its run of 3-strip Cinerama film on 16th December, 1962.
From 22nd December 1962 it went over to screening 70mm films which ceased on 31st January 1964.
The Imperial Theatre was demolished in 1966 and a new live theatre was built on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.