Hi-Way Theatre

2705 North Florissant Avenue,
St. Louis, MO 63106

Unfavorite 1 person favorited this theater

Additional Info

Styles: Spanish Renaissance

Previous Names: Montgomery Theatre

Nearby Theaters

Hi-Way Theatre

The Montgomery Theatre was built for O.T. Crawford, opening in May 1911, and later taken over by Harry Koplar. The Montgomery Theatre was renamed the Hi-Way Theatre on September 18, 1937.

Built in Spanish Renaissance style, the front was rather striking with two columns that rose from each end of the marquee. The Hi-Way Theatre had a small balcony and the restrooms were located in a foyer in the rear of the balcony. One of the things that was notable about the Hi-Way Theatre was its hand dipped ice cream. It has a rather large concession area for a small theatre.

In the auditorim the walls were lined with a red material with scone lighting three to each side of the auditorium. It also had a small stage in front that was used by some of the local schools for performances. When the Hi-Way Theatre closed in 1961, admission was 50 cents for adults and 15 cents for children.

Contributed by Charles Van Bibber

Recent comments (view all 7 comments)

JAlex on April 21, 2004 at 12:01 am

Original name of the theatre was the Montgomery. Theatre renamed in 1937.

Theatre not built by Komm, but by Harry Koplar.

JAlex on May 8, 2005 at 6:19 pm

Further research shows the MONTGOMERY was built by O. T. Crawford. When Crawford’s empire began to fall, the Koplars took over his theatres including the Montgomery.

JAlex on December 7, 2008 at 11:02 am

Theatre first appeared in City Directory of 1912.
Theatre closed in June 1957.

kencmcintyre on January 24, 2009 at 8:17 pm

From Boxoffice magazine, July 1957:

ST. LOUIS-The Hi-Way Theater, 1,090 seats, at 2705 North Florissant Ave., owned by Norman Probstein and others, has been closed indefinitely. This is a very fine neighborhood house under good management, but it has a real problem in lack of parking.

JAlex on December 17, 2009 at 2:56 am

Theatre opened in May 1911.

Kerry Manderbach
Kerry Manderbach on March 4, 2011 at 7:56 pm

This was only a couple of blocks from the North 14th Street shopping district, one of the oldest and busiest in the city. It would have been at Mongomery & N. Florissant, down the street from Bellon’s Market and Carl & Marge’s Tavern. Across the street was the Super Sandwich Shop. I skateboarded in that bank parking lot in the late 60’s. Never knew there had been a theater there.

rivest266 on February 21, 2016 at 3:38 pm

September 18th, 1937 grand opening ad as Hi-Way in photo section.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.