Ridge Road Drive-In
444 W. Ridge Road,
1 person favorited this theater
Previously operated by: General Cinema Corp.
General Cinema opened the Ridge Road Drive-In in the early-1950’s. It was located just one mile west of where GCC would build their first twin screen indoor theater in the area, Ridge Plaza. Ridge Road Drive-In was absolutely huge and could hold 1,200 cars. It’s large screen faced away from W. Ridge Road but the giant concrete wall with the name of the theater and the marquee that was built into it was quite an eye catcher.
The drive-in played a great mixture of films. One week would be a horror triple feature. One week was a Disney triple feature. One week was a biker triple feature. One thing RRDI did that neither the Hammond Srive-In or Y & W Drive-In did was show their main feature second.
General Cinema closed the drive-in in 1976 and was re-opened in 1977 by independent owners. With the drive-in business slipping and more indoor theaters opening the new owners bailed out after one season and soon after was torn down. By summer of 1978 a strip mall was being built and General Cinema would open Griffith Park Cinema in that very strip mall in 1979. A restaurant (which recently burned down) stood on the site where the screen and box office were.
Sadly there is nothing to indicate a drive-in ever stood there.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.