Palladium Super Cinema
81 High Road,
1 person favorited this theater
Built as a replacement to the Palladium Cinema (former Cosydrome Cinema of 1907 on Chapel Street which has its own page on Cinema Treasures). The Palladium Super Cinema opened Friday 26th December 1913. The proscenium was 24ft wide and it had a 15ft deep stage for variety acts to perform on. It was slightly altered around 1930 and was equipped with a British Thomson-Houston(BTH) sound system and was listed with 750 seats. Prices 6d, to 1s. 4d. Proscenium width was given as 25ft. Closed Saturday 18th April 1959.It was demolished and the site is now occupied by Iceland store and Santander bank.
Note. In 1938 the owners of the Palladium Super Cinema decided to replace the aging Palladium Super Cinema with a new cinema to be named the Embassy Cinema located at 1 High Road. Plans were drawn up by Nottingham based architect William Newman. The plans showed a cinema complex on a grand scale: A vestibule and paybox area fronting onto The Square, with small lock-up shops on either side, and a large waiting hall extending to the depth of adjacent buildings. Above this section a restaurant/ballroom (Cafe Dansant) would overlook the The Square. On the land to the rear, the building extended to its full width with a foyer and an auditorium with seating provided for 1,200. Overall it was 200ft from front to back, with a maximum width of 82ft and a frontage onto The Square of 44ft. The foundations to the new Embassy Cinema were laid in 1939, but construction was abandoned in September 1939 due to the outbreak of World War II, and were never restarted. In 2018 a branch of Barclays Bank and Nationwide bank stand on the site of this cinema that never was.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.