High Road and Station Road,
1 person favorited this theater
Architects: Frederick Ball, Reginald William Gaze Cooper
Styles: Streamline Moderne
Previous Names: Picture Palace
Located in Beeston, Nottinghamshire. The Picture Palace was opened on 11th January 1913, and was designed by Nottingham architect Frederick Ball. It had a decorative facade, topped by stone urns. The Picture Palace was closed in late-spring of 1935, for an extensive rebuild.
The front of the building and half the auditorium were demolished, and plans were proposed to extend the screen end at at later date to create a 1,000-seat cinema (this never happened). The new part of the building and the interior were designed by Nottingham based architect Reginald W.G. Cooper in a Streamline Modern style. Seating was provided for 700 in stalls and circle levels.
The Palace Cinema opened on 2nd September 1935 with Laurel & Hardy in “Babes in Toyland” and Leslie Fuller in “Strictly Illegal”. The cinema was equipped with a Western Electric sound system.
The Palace Cinema was closed on 20th February 1960 with John Gregson in “S.O.S. Pacific”, and was soon demolished to be replaced by a branch of Burton’s clothing store and a supermarket which by 2018 was a branch of W.H. Smith, a Post Oddice and a Vodaphone store.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.
Recent comments (view all 1 comments)
This webpage has several photos of the Palace, interior and exterior.