Lot Liberty Station
2620 Truxton Road,
1 person favorited this theater
Lot Cinema (Official)
Operated by: Boffo Cinemas
Architects: Frank Walter Stevenson
Firms: SMS Architects
Functions: Movies (First Run)
Previous Names: Camp Luce Auditorium
Luce Auditorium at the former Naval Training Center was renovated into a 6-screen, 429-seat cinema, opening May 5, 2016.
As reported in the San Diego Union-Tribune, Adolfo Fastlicht retained SMS Architects for the $12 million conversion. Mr. Fastlicht is the former co-CEO of Grupo Cinemex.
The Lot Liberty Station retains the original oak stage and exposed concrete proscenium on view in the lobby. An added contemporary touch built on the exterior is a restaurant and lounge, with a sliding glass wall, looking out onto Truxton Avenue.
Named for Admiral Stephen Bleecker Luce, and opening in 1941, the auditorium closed in 1997 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Originally seating about 2,200, it was used for training films, first run films and is remembered for wartime entertainment by celebrities such as Bob Hope and Jack Benny.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.