6250 S. Cottage Grove Avenue,
1 person favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Gollos Brothers
Architects: Sidney Lovell
Previous Names: Trevett Theatre, Empress Theatre, Royal Theatre, Midway Hippodrome, Midway Follies
Located in the Woodlawn neighborhood on the South Side on S. Cottage Grove Avenue between E.62nd Street and E. 63rd Street, this theatre originally opened as the Trevett Theatre in 1909 and was a vaudeville house. It was soon renamed Empress Theatre. By 1914 it had been renamed Royal Theatre. The Hippodrome was known as the Midway Hippodrome (due to its proximity to the Midway Plaisance Park) to differentiate it from a couple of other theatres called the Hippodrome in Chicago (such as Marlowe’s Hippodrome and the Lincoln Hippodrome).
It turned to movies in the 1920’s and by the early-1930’s, dropped the “Hippodrome” portion of its name. It continued to operate as a movie house at least into the 1950’s.
The Midway Theatre was also situated about halfway between two of Woodlawn’s premier entertainment palaces, which both were built a bit later, in the early-1920’s; the Tivoli Theatre and the Trianon Ballroom (the South Side “sister” to the North Side Aragon Ballroom). The Midway Theatre has long since been demolished, and today there are apartment buildings on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.