Clark Theater
120 S. Madison Street,
Pittsfield,
IL
62363
No one has favorited this theater yet
Additional Info
Previously operated by: Armentrout Circuit
Architects: Henry Elliot
Functions: Office Space
Previous Names: K.P. Opera House
Nearby Theaters
Opened on January 10, 1895 as the K.P. Opera House showing vaudeville acts. Was converted to a movie house in the early-1900’s and was purchased in 1920 by Clark Armentrout who refurbished the theater by adding air conditioning and other amenities, and renamed it Clark Theater.
It lasted until 1950, when Armentrout renovated an existing auto parts store at 209 N. Madison Street into a modern movie theater, naming it the Zoe Theater after his granddaughter (it has its own page on Cinema Treasures). The Clark Theater was closed for good. The building still stands today, hosting a Reach Out Center.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.

Recent comments (view all 2 comments)
Additional history credit Lisa Ruble. (multiple images added)
K P Opera House was built in 1894 by H Clay Kibler. Architect was Henry Elliott who also designed the Pike County Illinois Courthouse. K P stands for Knights of Pythias. Grand Opening was Thursday January 10, 1895. Exterior was changed by 1914. This is the same building that was the Clark Theatre later. After Clark Armentrout, owner of Clark Theater, passed away in 1960 the building was sold and become The John Green Store then it was PN Hirsch. After that The Dollar General Store and presently The Reach Out and Two Rivers Regional Council.
Clark Armentrout owned the theatres in Pittsfield and Barry (Pike County Illinois) and in Louisiana and Shelbina Missouri. He also on Clark Drive-In at Summer Hill (Pike County Illinois) and the Zoe Theatre in Pittsfield.
It was looking really repulsive due to the removal of the wonderful vitrolite. It’s been restored, and the building looks like the smaller inset picture. It’s not clear whether it’s the original brick or a convincing replica. It’s a community non-profit office.