Hoyts Ivanhoe Theatre
226 Upper Heidelberg Road,
1 person favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Hoyts Theatres
Architects: Clifford M. Chard, Lewis Kaberry, H. Vivian Taylor
Firms: Kaberry & Chard, Taylor & Soilleaux
Styles: Mission Revival
Located in the northeast Melbourne district of Ivanhoe. The Hoyts Ivanhoe Theatre was opened on 25th October 1924 with Reginald Denny in “A Reckless Age”. It was designed by architectural firm Kaberry & Chard and seating for 1,700 was provided on a stadium plan with a raised stepped section at the rear, rather than the usual overhanging balcony. In 1931 it was remodeled to the plans of architectural firm Taylor, Soilleux and Overend.
The Hoyts Ivanhoe Theatre was closed on 29th June 1968 with Elvis Presley in “Clambake” & “Thunderbirds Are Go”. The vacant building was demolished in 1971 and in 2016 the building on the site contains a café/bar/restaurant named ‘Vatutto’ on the ground floor and a medical centre upstairs on the first floor.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.
Recent comments (view all 1 comments)
The theatre was closed in 1968 and was demolished in 1971.