Metropol Filmkunst Kino
1 person favorited this theater
Filmkunst Kinos (Official)
Operated by: Filmkunst Kinos
Architects: Karl Stanert
Previous Names: Metropol Theater, Metropol Cinerama
The Metropol Theater was opened on 6th June 1940. It had 795-seats and was operated by Albrecht Konigstein & Co KG. It was demolished by Allied bombs during World War II.
It was rebuilt and reopened in 1949 with more that 800 seats. In 1951 it was modernised to the plans of architect Karl Stanert. In 1965 the building was demolished and apartments, a hotel and a new cinema was built on the site. The cinema was operated by Gunther Schneider & Franz Meerkatz. Between 1969 and 1971 the cinema was closed.
In 1972 Helmuth Rehben re-opened the cinema. On 1st November 1979 Udo Heimansberg Dusseldorfer Filmkunst Kino GmbH took over the operation and art house movies were screened. Later a deeply curved Cinerama screen was installed and the Metropol Filmkunst Kino was re-named Metropol Cinerama. Universal projectors for 35mm & 70mm film were installed and a 6-channel stereophonic sound system was added. At the same time a second 42-seat auditorium was added, named Metropol Phantom. The main cinema has now 142 seats and the Phantom hall has 42 seats.
Metropol Filmkunst Kino is a member of the Europa Group of art house cinemas.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.