St. Margaret's Hall
49 St. Margaret's Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previous Names: Alexander Cinema
In the small Wiltshire town of Bradford-on-Avon, situated between Bath and Trowbridge, St. Margaret’s Hall was an early-19th century factory where wool and woollen cloth were dyed under the ownership of members of the Spackman, Timbrell and Moore families. This activity ceased in 1903. In 1917 the building was converted into the 450-seat Alexander Cinema, with the addition of the present foyer.
The group of businessmen who owned it traded as The Alexander Picture Theatre Ltd. In 1923 the manager was Mr E. Hewitt.
At the end of the 1920’s ownership transferred to Avon Cinema Company Ltd, who installed a British Thomson Houston(BTH) sound system. The stage (12ft deep) was still used for occasional variety shows. At this time the cinema could seat 500; later this was reduced to 450.
Film shows ended when the Alexander Cinema was taken over by the Urban District Council in 1959. The building was refurbished and re-opened as a 160-seat public hall.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.