His Majesty's Theatre
825 Hay Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Fullers Theatres Pty. Ltd.
Functions: Live Theatre
Previous Names: Ye Olde Englishe Fayre, Continental Gardens
Ye Old Englishe Fayre opened in the early or mid-1890’s, and was the first site to screen films in Western Australia on 21st November 1896 three months after the first Australian screening of films in Melbourne in August 1896. Name changed to Continental Gardens in 1898, and closed in 1899, and demolished in(1899 to 1902?).
Construction of His Majesty’s Theatre started in 1902. His Majesty’s Theatre opened on 24th December 1904 with a performance of “Forty Thieves”. The first films were shown on 10th June 1905. Films were shown on and off until the 1920’s. Films were shown again for a brief time in the 1940’s for war-weary troops and locals. The theatre was nearly demolished in the 1970’s until saved by the then premier Sir Charles Court, and closed for renovation ,and officially reopened on 28th June 1980 with a command performance of variety presented by Western Australian artists.
There was also a small cinema in the Green Room under His Majesty’s Theatre opened 11th December 1996,it seems to have been short-lived. The theatre has been heritage listed(date unknown). There is a book about His Majesty’s Theatre released for the 100th birthday of the theatre called “A Dream of Passion” by David Hough. His Majesty’s Theatre is the only remaining Edwardian theatre in Australia, and only 1 of 2 His Majesty’s Theatres remaining in the World, the other one is in Aberdeen, Scotland(opened 2 years later).
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.