55 High Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previously operated by: Rank Organisation
Architects: S. Loxton
Previous Names: Picture House
Located in the northeast Bristol district of Staple Hill/Kingswood. The Picture House was opened in March 1913 with 450 seats. It was designed by architect S. Loxton. On 29th August 1927 it was renovated and a new façade was built. The seating capacity was increased to 1,154 and it was re-named Regal Cinema. The proscenium was 29 feet wide and the stage was 12 feet deep. Around 1930 it was equipped with a British Acoustic(BA) sound system.
In 1955 a false proscenium 35 feet wide was installed to allow for CinemaScope films. The Regal Cinema was closed in late-November 1963 with Anthony Perkins in “Psycho” & Steve McQueen in “The Blob”, and became an independent bingo club. Later operated by the Rank Organisation as a Top Rank Bingo Club it ended its days as a Mecca Bingo Club. This closed in 1992.
The building stood unused for at least seven years years, and has now been taken over by a church, known as the Sanctuary Church.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.