73 Avenue de General-Leclare,
1 person favorited this theater
Operated by: Gaumont France
Functions: Movies (First Run)
Previous Names: Montrouge Palace, Orleans Palace, Theatre des Gobelins, Gaumont Sud
Located in the south of the city centre. The Montrouge Palace was opened on 4th February 1921 with 2,800 seats. It also had an entrance located around the corner at 50 rue d'Alesia. It was later re-named Orleans Palace and then Theatre des Gobelins before becoming the Gaumont Sud when Gaumont took over operations. It was modernised, reopening on 10th October 1951 with “Caroline Cherie”.
In 1974 the Gaumont Sud was converted into a four screen cinema to the plans of architect Georges M. Peynet. In 1986 it was converted into a seven screen cinema when it was re-named Gaumont Alesia. The largest screen seated 520 and was equipped with 70mm projection. Screens 2 & 3 seated 400 and 300. Screens 4-7 had seating ranging from 100 to 180. It was renovated in 1991 and the total seating capacity was 1,581..
The Gaumont Alesia was closed on 14th July 2014 to be either gutted to build a new 8-screen multiplex cinema, which opened in 2015 with 1,381 seats.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.