84 Fisherton Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previous Names: Playhouse Theatre, Garrison Theatre
Located in Salisbury, Wiltshire. The Picture House was a conversion of a former chapel, and opened on 11th December 1916. The original chapel façade was replaced by an attractive stone façade. The proscenium was 20 feet wide. The Picture House had a café attached, for the convenience of its patrons. It was operated by the Albany Ward Circuit, who were later taken over by the Provincial Cinematograph Theatres chain. In February 1929 they were taken over by the Gaumont British Theatres chain.
On 23rd December 1929, the Picture House showed the first ‘talkie’ in Salisbury “Perfect Alibi”, and had a Cinephone sound system installed. In 1937, Gaumont decided to build a New Picture House almost adjacent along Fisherton Street, and the Picture House was closed on 20th September 1937 with “The Sea Devils”. The New Picture House opened on 27th September 1927, and that building still exists today as a live performance/concert venue known as City Hall.
The original Picture House became the Playhouse Theatre in 1946, and then became a warehouse. It was later re-opened as the Garrison Theatre, but has since been demolished and a Multiyork furniture store now stands on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.