No one has favorited this theater yet
City Hall (Official)
Styles: Art Deco
Previous Names: New Picture House, Picture House, Odeon
Built by Gaumont British Theatres and Albany Ward as a replacement for the original (almost adjacent) Picture House, the New Picture House opened on 27th September 1937 with Cedric Hardwick in "King Solomon’s Mines". Designed by Gaumont’s favoured architects E.A & W.S Trent, together with R.C.H. Golding.
The exterior was set back slightly from the pavement and had two small brick towers each side of the entrance. Seating in the 1,313 capacity auditorium was on a stadium plan, with no overhanging balcony, instead there was a raised stepped area at the rear.
By 1945 it had been re-named Picture House. It was re-named Odeon from 27th February 1950 and was closed by the Rank Organisation on 30th December 1961. The Odeon name was transfered to the Gaumont, which still operates in 2008.
The building was sold to the city of Salisbury and was converted into a live performance/concert venue. Now known as the City Hall, it had a major re-furbishment in 1985 and most of the original interior decoration was removed, apart from in the foyer area.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.