N. 8th Street and Race Street,
2 people favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Keith-Albee
Architects: John Bailey McElfatrick
Firms: J. B. McElfatrick and Sons
Previous Names: B.F. Keith's Bijou Theatre, Garden Theatre, New Garden Theatre
This was the second Bijou Theatre to open in Philadelphia, and was the first of two B.F. Keith’s vaudeville theatres to open in the city. B.F. Keith’s Bijou Theatre was opened November 4, 1889, and it was located at the northeast corner of N. 8th Street and Race Street. On December 25, 1895, B.F. Keith’s Bijou Theatre showed the first ever films in Philadelphia. From 1896 films became part of the vaudeville program. On January 5, 1922 it was taken over by Jules Mastbaum. In 1924 it was renamed Garden Theatre and presented Yiddish plays. In 1927 it became a burlesque theatre, but movies were still part of the program. There were numerous police raids on the theatre. In later years double-bill ‘B’ feature movies were presented and it operated under the New Garden Theatre name. It was closed in 1967 and demolished May 25, 1967. Part of the site was used for the Metropolitan Hospital.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.