Palace Picture House
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previous Names: People's Palace, Picture House
Opened in 1896 as the People’s Palace it had seating for 1,500. By August 1910 it was showing films. By July 1912 it was presenting live shows. By 1913 it had been re-named Picture House, although it is not listed in the Kinematograph Year Book for 1914. By 1922 it had been re-named Palace Picture House and the seating capacity was 800, it had a stage and six dressing rooms. In 1930 it was equipped with British Acoustic(BA) sound system and screened its first ‘talkie’ “Such Men Are Dangerous” starring Elinor Glynns on 30th August 1930. KYB 1942 adds that the proscenium was 30ft wide and there were 724 seats. It was destroyed by German bombs in 1942 and the remains, apart from the entrance were later demolished.
The site is now the East Riding of Yorkshire Council’s Palace Car Park; adjacent to a roundabout where Prospect Street and Quay Road meet. Even the former entrance has now been demolished.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.