No one has favorited this theater yet
The 1931 Kine Year Book lists a Picture House in Ballyclare, County Antrim. By 1934 the town’s cinema is simply listed as Cinema, and it had 350 seats. It was still operating in 1947.
By 1953 the 400-seat Reo Cinema is listed (operated by Rio Cinemas Ltd. of Belfast). However, a local resident, reminiscing about his youth, talked about two cinemas, one (at the entrance to what is now Avondale Drive) which he called the Rio, and a newer one (on Ballynure Road) called the New Rio (the variation between “Reo” and “Rio” might be due to an error in transcription of this gentleman’s memories). It would certainly make sense that an older cinema would be replaced and, judging by the names, by the same operator. According to the local library in 2007 the more recent cinema was used as a furniture showroom for a while, after closure, but demolished “a number of years ago” and a block of flats has been built on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.