No one has favorited this theater yet
Previous Names: Picture Palace Cinema
Located in Aberaman, a district to the south of Aberdare in the Rhondda Valley, Glamorgan. The Grand Theatre was built as live theatre in 1908, and the building also included Aberamen Public Hall, a Free Library and Public Hall. It was licenced to screen films in 1909. It was soon afterwards taken over by Messrs C. & J.W. Poole and was re-named Picture Palace, offering pictures and variety by 1912 and into 1913. By 1919 it had become a full time cinema. The building had a 40 feet wide proscenium, a 20 feet deep stage and four dressing rooms.
By 1929, it had reverted back to the name Grand Theatre (still a cinema). It was equipped with a British Thompson Houston(BTH) sound system in around 1929 (by 1937 it had an RCA sound system).
The Grand Theatre was closed as a cinema in the 1950’s. It became a bingo club in the 1960’s and was destroyed by fire in October 1994.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.