Shoreditch Empire Theatre
95-99 Shoreditch High Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Architects: Frank Matcham
Firms: Frank Matcham & Company
Styles: French Renaissance
Previous Names: London Theatre of Varieties, London Music Hall
Located in the east London inner-city district of Shoreditch. Originally on this site on what was originally named Holywell Street, stood the Griffin Music Hall & Public House, which opened in 1856. It had a seating capacity for 250.
In 1894, it was demolished and the London Theatre of Varieties was built on the site, designed to the plans of noted theatre architect Frank Matcham. It opened in 1895. In 1896 it was re-named London Music Hall. Like all music hall theatres around the turn of the century, films were screened as part of the variety programme.
In 1924 it was taken over by Frederick Thomas Peel and was re-named Shoreditch Empire Theatre. In June 1934 it was purchased by Jeremiah Rotherham & Co. who operated as drapery warehouse men, and the Shoreditch Empire Theatre was closed. It was demolished in March 1935.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.